Lazy Susan's Mac & Cheese
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- 3 cups (32 oz) shredded extra sharp or sharp cheddar cheese
- 24 oz (2 cans) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan and Romano cheese blend
- optionally add 1/4 c. pepper jack cheese
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. mustard powder
- 2 tsp. paprika
For boiling macaroni:
- 1 Tblsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- Bring 6 to 8 cups water to a boil with 1 tsp salt and 1 Tblsp vegetable oil. Add 3 cups elbow macaroni. Stir until water is boiling again and macaroni is freely moving in water, so macaroni doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan and burn. Set timer only when water boils. Cook macaroni about 9 minutes. Thoroughly drain water off of macaroni.
- Set your oven to bake at 350′.
- Using the pan you intend to bake your mac & cheese in, combine all cheeses and all spices and mix thoroughly.
- Pour in evaporated milk and stir until well combined with cheese and spices.
- Fold in your boiled macaroni, making sure to cover each elbow with sauce and to evenly distribute cheese.
- Place mac and cheese uncovered in 350′ oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and thoroughly fold and stir cheese sauce in and around macaroni elbows.
- Optionally sprinkle with about 1/4 cup shredded cheddar and a sprinkling of black pepper.
- Return to oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, serve, and enjoy a low hassle, homemade, baked mac and cheese product.
After 30 years of melting the cheese sauce separately and occasionally dealing with separated or burned cheese I decided there had to be a better way. And this is it.